Pages

1 November 2008

I got a Trojan....OK here is a long RANT..

I haven't posted for a while, as a couple of weeks ago I picked up a Trojan on my main PC. I took me about a week to get rid of it fully. It was a real nasty one and wouldn't go away. Anyone who knows me, will confirm that I am a computer security freak.I have hardware and software firewalls, anti-spyware, antivirus, everything always kept updated, you name it I've got it...all protecting our PCs at all times. I didn't download anything and didn't let anything in...
BUT...

I didn't like the way my post preview works on blogger, it didn't (and still doesn't) show the page correctly on preview, so I went Googling for an answer, I was clicking on links from Google, being taken to other blogs that give how to's on blogger, don't know which blog sent the Trojan but it was definitely from a blog. My firewall popped up asking if an exe file could have access to the Internet, I was immediately suspicious and said NO. I thought I stopped it in it's tracks, the exe file was in my temp folder, I blocked all Internet and networks and deleted the contents of the temp folder and cleaned out everything else. Ran a virus check, and a spyware check using spybot,adaware and A2, they all found the Trojan and couple of other things it had added and deleted them, but on every reboot it was back again, I didn't get the popups etc but on every scan it was back again. I keep searching for answers on how to get rid of it, finally I read on a antispyware forum about a program called SUPERAntiSpyware free edition, I was a bit wary of downloading it, but I bit the bullet and installed it. Glad I did, it removed the Trojans. It's free and I can recommend it. I have a clean PC again. I've been using the net since the early 90's and have never been infected before..AND I DON'T WANT TO BE AGAIN...

What bothers me though is, being new to blogging, was it just a malicious blog or did someone put a Trojan on an innocent blog, if so, how I can prevent someone hijacking my blog, can't see why they would pick mine though don't get enough traffic, guess I'm back to Googling to try and find some answers, but I've gone back to prompt for active x controls and plug-ins which is a pain in the *** and only let it run on blogs and sites that I trust.

Just like to add, what SCUMBAGS these idiots are that write Viruses and Trojans, who hijack peoples blogs and websites, and waste my time when I could be crafting..what kicks they get from it is beyond me..and A BIG THANK YOU to all the clever people who write software to combat them (especially the free ones) and the forums that give help to remove them.

OK had my rant, back to crafting now....


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your PC problems Chris, I was wondering why you'd not been on your blog for sometime. I have the SUPERantispyware on my machine too and highly recommend it. Like you say, what is the kick these idiots get from writing these virus's etc...that cause such diruption, they must have a very twisted sense of hunour and need to get a life. Welcome back Chris xx

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin